Neefer Sews, Crochets, Crafts, Swims, and Blathers about Kids

Acorns to Oaktrees

October 4th, 2007 at 12:13 am

McCall M4887

in: Sewing
IMG_5338
Fairy Costume
IMG_5339
Fairy Costume Back

Pattern Description:
Fairy Costume with a shift underdress, long vest, and tulle overskirt. I did not use the wings from the pattern.

From McCall: Pullover dress has shoulder straps and stitched hem; lined vest has waist seam, hook and eye front closing, purchased trim and Velcro® in back to attach wings; vests B, C have ribbon belt; wings are sheer with wire inserted into casings to maintain shape; multi-layered skirt, below mid-knee or full length, has elasticized waist and unfinished hems; skirts C, D have shaped hemlines.

Pattern Sizing:
It is available in Toddler (2-5) and Child (6 – 8).

I made my daughter the size 8. It’s supposed to last for at least 2 years. In height, DD is just a tad short for a size 8. I think she’s a size 2 in width – well maybe not a 2. I had to take in the underdress 2 inches. The vest does not fall off her shoulders. That is consistent with the other McCall childrens patterns that I have made (ie if I pick the size by DD’s height it fits her height and shoulders and is enormous everywhere else).

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I think it did.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Well … yes, but a better question to ask is were the instructions good instructions. The biggest problem that I have is that costume patterns are dumbed down. Sometimes that is good. I agree that a costume does not need facings, for example. However, there are lots of things that could be done better. The overskirt is what particularly bothered me in this pattern. That @#$%ing skirt is 9 layers of tulle. They tell you to sew the side seams of each layer separately, like a real skirt. The thing is, there are 9 layers; that’s 18 seams, and then you have to get all the layers lined up to baste around the waist. This is a costume people! I started sewing the red skirts together like that. Then I said, screw that, and I lined up all the layers and sewed the side seams for the red layer, the pink layer, and the orange layer. I did sew each layer separately.

Then, they tell you to baste around the waist and gather. I pity the poor novice sewist who is trying to gather this 100 inch waist down to match the waistband. I used my ruffler, and once I’d ruffled, I matched the waistband to the skirt.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

DISLIKE: Did I mention that the instructions for the overskirt are stupid?

IMG_5331
Underdress
IMG_5332
Underdress Back

DISLIKE: The straps on the underdress are so long that either it is supposed to be a skirt, or it is supposed to hang from the girl’s ears or, despite the sizing information, it is made for a giantess like Xena.

DISLIKE: The overskirt, before being gathered, is enormous. If I were going to make this again, I’d make it much less wide.

LIKE: DD likes the look of it.

LIKE: It was pretty easy to sew.

Fabric Used:

IMG_5334
Vest & Underdress

Underdress: an embroidered cotton batiste from Joann’s. DD picked it out.

Vest: polyester brocade from Joann’s. Lining: poly/cotton blend from somewhere.

Overskirt: nylon tulle from Joann’s.

Wings: polyester(?) net from clearance section at Joann’s.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:

Underdress: I took in the sideseams an inch on both sides; it’s still big on DD. The should straps are impossibly long; I think I shortened them 6 inches. Because I was concerned that the underdress would slip of DD’s shoulders, I moved the back straps so that they met in CB. Oh, and because I made the dress so much smaller, I had to move the front straps in an inch towards the center on each side.

IMG_5336
Vest back

Overskirt: Instead of gathering the skirt down to match the waistband, I ran the skirt thru my ruffler twice. At that point I matched the waistband to the skirt.

IMG_5337
Snap for wings
IMG_5340
Wings attached
IMG_5335
A bit of embellishment

Wings: I did not use the wings from the pattern. I used the wings from Kid’s dress-ups and parties. DD wanted the wings to attach to her wrist so that she could flap them. The wings attach to the back with a snap.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I’m not going to sew it again. I keep hoping my fairy costume days are over, but this is number 3.

I do recommend it. I think it came out delightfully.


Conclusion
Another good costume pattern by McCall.

Category: Sewing Tags: , , , , ,

« || »

2
  • 1

    Hi Neefer-
    I was trying to get in contact with about the Adorn Mag Blog Halloween costume contest. As you can see, you were a winner! I’d like to send you your prize… if you could email me that would be great :)

    Kristen on November 5th, 2007
  • Historical Adventures of Neefer

    November 2017
    S M T W T F S
    « Apr    
     1234
    567891011
    12131415161718
    19202122232425
    2627282930  
  • Archives

  • My latest uploads to Flickr

    [slickr-flickr]
  • Follow me

  • Connect with me