Neefer Sews, Crochets, Crafts, Swims, and Blathers about Kids

Acorns to Oaktrees

March 28th, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Phlipphlap Bag Part 3

in: Sewing
Untitled
Image 1: Front of bag

Part 1: Many pictures of the interiors of the front and back sections (two big, main pockets) with an emphasis on the interior pockets.
Part 2: A couple of pictures of the exterior.

So, I’ve got the bag “lining” sewn to the bag exterior and turned. I was selective about topstitching. The instructions tell you to top stitch all the way around, but the main pockets are made by applying binding to the edges. If I’m going to apply binding there, why top stitch? I haven’t decided to apply binding there. I might just sew the sides together, but again, why top stitch just to sew over the stitching?

Image 1 shows the front of the bag. The front flap pattern is 2 pieces. I pieced the larger piece because I wanted to use that dragonfly fabric, and all I had was a narrow strip. So the smaller piece on the front flap is the brown fabric with a large pinecone print. The larger piece on the front flap is the pieced dragonfly fabric, the orange floral print, and reddish fabric with the off center printing.

Untitled
Image 2. Front of bag with flap flipped up

Image 2 shows the front of the bag with the front flap flipped up exposing the “cell phone” pocket. I made this pocket using the “large cell phone pocket” pattern piece, but after that I stopped looking at the directions for placement and pocket construction. I’ve made a lot of bags with pockets. I don’t know if I placed it higher or lower than the pattern called for; I stuck it where it seemed appropriate. For the reverse side of the flaps, I used the orange fabric and purple fabric that I used on the main pockets.

All of the pockets in the pattern were like that cell phone pocket. I find that very lacking in the pattern. Of course, part of the point of making my own bags is that I put in LOTS of pockets, and those pockets offer some security (aka a zipper). I don’t understand why purse, tote, and other bag patterns are so lacking in pockets. They are easy. A really good reference is Easy to Make Totes with Zippers by Cindy Taylor Oates. I’ve made a couple of bags from this book, but its real value is in the construction information for pockets and closures. I highly recommend it.

Untitled
Image 3: Front of bag with back flap flipped up and
back thin flap flipped to front

Image 3 shows the front of the bag with the back flap flipped up and the thin flap in front. This is similar to the image on the front of the pattern. I think the idea is for this flap to hand over the 2 main sections, from back to front, and act as a sort of closure, or maybe it is just decorative.

Untitled
Image 4: Front of bag with both back flaps flipped forward

Image 4 shows the back flap flipped to the front. The pattern says this makes the bag more secure. I think a closure would be more appropriate if we’re talking security.

I really like the way the bag looks … well, the folded, yet to be sewn into a bag quilty-fabric-assembly. I chose fabric placement with this layout in mind. I’m not sure how I like the brown piece from the front flap poking out. I did not follow the patterns suggestions on size for this piece. I didn’t want to cut down the print on the brown fabric.

I’m debating over what the next step is. I think the idea of using binding to close the sides is less than optimal, but I’m not sure what the solution is. I am currently debating simply sewing the sides together. Of course, if I do that, I could come back later and cover them with binding, so I think that’s what I’ll do.

See all my Phlipphlap bag photos at Flickr.

Category: Sewing Tags: , ,

« || »

Comments are closed.

  • Historical Adventures of Neefer

    November 2017
    S M T W T F S
    « Apr    
     1234
    567891011
    12131415161718
    19202122232425
    2627282930  
  • Archives

  • My latest uploads to Flickr

    [slickr-flickr]
  • Follow me

  • Connect with me